Sunday, October 07, 2007

VICTIM OF STEREO-TYPING!

A few days back, we went to the Burjuman Centre. Actually we had an appointment elsewhere at about 11.30 and not wanting take any risk with the traffic, we left home early….and ended up too early for the appointment. Since Burjuman was nearby, we decided to drop in.

We entered the Nike shop and I as usual got curious glances from the Philippino salesgirls. What would a sari clad middle aged dame want in a Nike showroom? I asked for football jerseys. Without batting an eyelid ( very professional of her…) she asked me , “ For gents or ladies, Madame?” I couldn’t help giggling. Obviously I didn’t look the football jersey kind at all. For gents, of course, I said…for my sons. She smiled , apparently relieved, and led me to the area where Barcelona jerseys vied with the Juventus ones.

I didn’t find the kind my son wanted, thanked her and walked out. Next at the Adidas shop, they had every other club but Manchester United. Disappointed, we both walked on. Then I saw it… the Virgin Mega Store. I remembered that the twins had asked for original DVDs of Prison Break. A very reluctant RP followed me into the shop. He knows I go haywire inside that shop. Virgin Mega Store personnel in the Mall of the Emirates and Deira City Centre are familiar with me… But this was the first time in Burjuman. As I waltzed alone towards the English DVD section a red uniform clad youth started trailing me. First, he told me, ‘Ma’am, No Hindi titles here.’ As I looked at him surprised, he added condescendingly, ‘This is the English Section, Ma’am.’

I took a look at his name tag before saying, “I know, Adrian. Can you help me locate the first season of Prison Break?” I could see him mentally shrug as he told me, Sorry, we are sold out. Then as the salesman in him surfaced, he said, we have the second season, though. I said okay and picked up the second season. I felt like telling him I have already watched the complete first season with my twin sons and half of the second, but why should I bother, I thought.

The suddenly my eyes fell on the seventh and eighth seasons of Everybody Loves Raymond. Now… I am an avid fan of the series and own all the 6 seasons. With a whoop of joy, I picked up both. I could see my poor better half wince right behind me. I handed all the three collections to Adrian and asked him if he could check out at their branches in the M o E and Deira if they have the first season of Prison Break so that I could pick it up from there. He disappeared for a while and brought back the news that it was available in Mercato Mall and he could get us a copy in two or three days. I gave him RP’s mobile number and name and told him to give a ring as soon as he got it.
As I was about to turn back, he told me Ma’am we have the latest Hindi hits and pointed and enunciated with a heavy accent ‘ Jhoom Barabar Jhoom…and…’ I said serenely, sorry I am not hooked to Hindi movies. Then, as we both moved towards the counter, I said, “Adrian, appearances can be deceptive, right?” he had the decency to look ashamed.
At the counter, there was another youth, an African by birth obviously, who saw my collection and said, “Good choice, maa’m…And I smiled at him, “Yeah, I know.” I hope Adrian learnt a lesson today. You cannot stereotype people or take an arrogant attitude. My wearing sari had nothing to do with his duty as a salesman. Where is it said that only jeans-clad people can enjoy American sitcoms? He was young… and I was ready to forgive him… But, if he acts snooty the next time I am in the shop… I’ll give him a piece of my mind!

3 comments:

  1. A Prison Break and Everybody Loves Raymond watching maami? I hope you watch House M.D., too. That show would be right up your alley.

    The description of your sari-clad self reminds me much of my mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vi,
    See... you are doing it too...! ;-)

    ReplyDelete