Saturday, December 09, 2006

WITHIN BORDERS ( OF A BIBLIOPHILE'S DREAMLAND )

Mall of the Emirates, 11.30 am. I go in search of Borders, the newly opened bookshop --for the inauguration of which, Jeffrey Archer had flown in...( Coincidence... coincidence... You can see Borders featuring throughout the movie, The Terminal.) What struck me about the outlet in MoE is the way books have been arranged. Genrewise, in alphabetical order and with a lot of elbowroom for browsers.
It is easier to locate your favourite author once you know the genre he/ she is slotted in. Such arrangement with alphabet of the writer's surname bordering the shelves I have seen only in one other place...at House of Prose, the secondhand bookshop in Jumeira Plaza, my favourite haunt in Dubai. Only, Borders is 10 times as big as HoP. One needs more than the one hour one spent there -- without an impatient husband snorting and sniffing behind one -- to do justice to the place. Maybe, some other time...
I liked the separate section for Indian publications. The comparatively inexpensive Rupa and Co publications. The full range of Wodehouse, Henry Cecil and Richard Gordon are available. Couldn't resist picking up 4 of Gordon's Doctor series. Cheaper look, bigger print, nothing glamorous compared to the old Penguin editions in my parents' collection, but I can make do with these. You can't judge a book by its cover or the publisher... or the price for that matter. I bought almost 10 Henry Cecils in India last June. Just a marginal difference in the prices here -- Dhs.11 as against Rs. 120 in Gangarams, Bangalore.
Got a small treat. Picked up 'Dead Poets Society'. Had seen the Robin Williams movie on Star Movies last year and realised how blatantly, Mohanlal has lifted the subplot for his 'Life is Beautiful'. Priced at Dhs.31, I felt it was worth adding to my collection of rare books. Must read it. Kiran Desai was there, adorning a special niche, but son told me she would be less expensive in India. Incidently, he got me an Indian edition (maybe pirated) of In the Line of Fire for Rs.100. When it comes to duplicating originals (books, I mean), we can outchinese the Chinese!
Saw many of Bill Bryson's but shall wait for a sale to pick up one or two. Not many Indian writers... Just Anita Desais and Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and Vikram Seth, a couple of Khushwant Singhs and no Shashi Tharoor ( which means R may not visit Borders with me... heh..heh...). They have separate sections for horror, romance, thrillers, mysteries, travel, biographies etc etc.
One full corner for Chicken Soups, maybe season's attraction. But, my bookshelves are crowded with a liberal helping of Chicken Soup, so I barely spare them a glance. Couldn't help being disappointed about the absence of Nancy Farmer... been itching to get hold of her books for young adults for some time now.
On the whole, a very satisfying sojourn for me, and my sons who seemed to have fun browsing... unlike my better half who was trying to hide his impatience... in vain! Bookshops and RP don't go very well together! Anyway, it takes all sorts to make this world and he is stuck with me, a pedigreed bibliophile for life!
Next on agenda is the Sharjah Book Exibhition. For the first time in 6 years, the Book Expo has been going on for 4 days without my visiting it. Not today, definitely... Maybe tomorrow, or on Monday. Let us see.

2 comments:

  1. Waiting to visit Borders. Just got over with exams and what can be better than a good read.I even missed The Sharjah Book Exibhition (thanks to my exams). But I guess mom has already arranged for me to read a host of 'great' books, all of which have been prescribed by none other than CBSE for Grade 10 students. Well...life goes on.
    Keep up with the blogging. .

    ReplyDelete