Wednesday, November 29, 2006

REMEMBERING UNCLE G… WITH A CHUCKLE!

Last night, Rat called with the news of Uncle G passing away. Another chapter in family history closed, she said in a sombre tone and then we spent the next 20 minutes giggling and chuckling as we recalled our meetings and conversations with him.
Uncle G, actually my mother’s uncle Gowrishankar aka ‘Gowrichithappa’ was the most flamboyant relative I have come across. He was my maternal grandfather’s brother, so, as Indian relationships go, he ought to have been treated as a grandparent. But no one I know is as ‘ungrandparentish’ as Uncle G had been. In fact, he was the least avuncular person…more of boyfriend material.

My earliest memories of Uncle G are from the hush- hush talks in the family gatherings. I came to know much later in my life about his divorce and alleged wild ways in Bombay! My sister Rat and I got to know the man rather late…though we had met him several times in weddings and in Madras, in my grandparents’ house. It was long after my marriage and the birth of my twins. We had accompanied Mom to his house in Cheroor, Thrissur. I was curious to meet the man who was my Madras Thatha’s younger brother--the man who had, on a whim according to relatives, sold his flat in Bombay to settle down in Thrissur of all the places. He had a wonderful villa, very neat and stylish with a lush garden -- the ambience actually accentuating the persona. Somehow, we hit it off on that first meeting and then followed years of fun- filled friendship. Rat, having settled in Coimbatore, was more in contact with him.

We used to be so casual and relaxed with him, sharing quite a lot of ‘questionable jokes’ with him – something we would never have dared to, with Madras Thatha. He was a close friend of Prof. Madhukar Rao, my dad’s English lecturer, who, later, was my HOD in Victoria College, Palghat where I graduated in English Literature. Uncle G would often go to Ernakulam to share his ‘Happy Hours’ with Prof. Rao, and the next time I am in town, he’d tell me, Madhukar and I talked about you! We would tease him about his girlfriends, and he would regale us with wild stories…of the women in his life!

Somehow, we never felt either scandalized or judgemental with him, we loved him for what he was. That is why Rat and I did not shed a single drop of tear yesterday. She had called me three days back, with the news that he was in ICU after a massive heart attack, there wasn’t much hope. She said if he had been in a regular ward, she’d have called him and joked about ‘Shankaran Aanai’ or busty nurses…She recalled how he had called two weeks back and talked about all of us.
Rat tells me he has bequeathed his body to the medical college. I can visualize the puzzled looks on some student’s face as he studies his innards… Too many funny bones, an XXL heart and laugh -lines etched into the facial muscles… that’s our Uncle G. As a man who loved life in all its vibrant shades, he wouldn’t want anyone to mourn him, he’d like it if we giggled and chuckled in memorium, and, that’s what my sister and I did yesterday before saving him as a special memory in the CPU of our hearts.

4 comments:

  1. Rat,
    That is beautiful! Obviously, you have more memories of him than I do...Sigh! He was 'something', no? May his soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Well said girls, 'coz that's exactly he was. Happy all the time and personally i have never seen him sulking. When he was staying white field in bangalore couple of years back, he used to call regularly and talk even to the children. But he gave me the jolt of my life, one day when he called me and asked me to back off some woman, working in some company, whom i have'nt even heard off. I tried to tell him that he must have been mistaken, but he was still insistant, kept on telling me that she is not interested and is planning to go to the himalayas, and that i should back off and kept the phone down. I was really shocked for a while and spoke about it with my wife Latha and had a real laugh, even though she was bit suspicious, since it was Uncle G who called, and even proclaimed that Quote "You are capable of doing that" unquote. Well after that he never called me and next when i met him he was admitted in Manipal Hospital, Bangalore. After he was brought to the ward from ICU, i met him and surprisingly he apologised to me for what happened earlier. Then he explained to me that, it was some Ramakrishnan working along with that lady who was involved, and Uncle G somehow mistook that it was me. We had a hearty laugh and believe me he was laughing like a child.

    Am sure even though he left us we'll all remember his cheerful personality. Am sure the god will bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ramki for the forward...enjoyed reading all the wonderful things written abt him...could esp relate with what Radhu shared. I remember him as a "jolly good fellow"...see, that's the beauty og Unc G...you can call him fellow and still respect and admire him at the end of the day. I remember the yummy paal payasam he made when we visited him as a family in Cheroor many years ago...remember with fondness my stay with him at Whitefield in his studio apt and his 'wicked comments' abt the many women that he knew. Our nick name for him was "Naradar" and he lived up to it!!! I'd like to salute him by being positive abt life and keeping the humour in me alive. Truly a unique human being who lived life on his terms until the very end.
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radhi, Ramki, Viju, Maya ...

    This is the first time ever that I haven't mourned the passing away of a beloved relative. I have laughed in remembrance of the wicked stuff we shared and joked about because Unc G will be watching from wherever he is. I know he would want me to celebrate his life and make merry -- that was his recipe for a great taste of life.

    We loved him and enjoyed every moment that we spent with him -- it could never be otherwise.

    When I see a winking star in the night sky, I think it must be him -- looking down on all of us and chuckling at our earthly ways, for he is in a place where tears don't exist. There is only the sound of laughter.

    Uma

    ReplyDelete